The Canadian Craft Centre is a showcase of contemporary expression and Canadian heritage expressing Canada’s cultural identity to the world through our artists. The Centre has 120,000 square feet of galleries to explore crafts of the world made by Canadian artists. The Centre is located in the heart of Old Vancouver convenient for visitors and accessible by public transit.
The experience gives people the opportunity to learn from the creative design of our individual artists the influences of our many cultures on how crafts are made. Appreciating the contribution and value of our artists’ skills, our crafts, our heritage, and our cultures will bring more craft into our lives and our homes.
The Centre gives Canadian craft artists the opportunity to meet one another, explore creatively together, tell their stories, and exhibit and sell their work.
The Canadian Craft Centre will contribute to making hand crafts a more viable livelihood for our talented local artists and attract more artists to Vancouver.
Canadian Craft Centre Experiences
- Museum with permanent and changing exhibitions
- Galleries with changing displays of crafts to explore and purchase
- Window galleries along the high traffic Cordova Street side
- Theatres showing films on crafts and artists
- Artist workshops open to visitors to observe and learn.
- Community areas for creative presentations and hands-on experiences
- Live demonstrations and opportunities to participate
- Restaurant and cafe providing nutritious meals for all-day guests
- Terminals to explore online
Canadian Craft Centre in the community
- Exhibitions created to travel to communities across Canada
- Canadian Craft Centre outposts at major airports, shopping centres, cultural events, and tourist attractions
Canadian Craft Centre Online
The Canadian Craft Centre could use internet technologies to connect the world of Canadian craft with a virtual, online shop and gallery where artists can contribute their stories, events, and opportunities to purchase their work
The Centre would host films of fine craft collections, an archive of exhibitions and interactive presentations on craft design and production, and online conferences and conversations on craft and design creating a centre for communities throughout the world to explore and contribute to the art of craft.
An opportunity for the Canadian Crafts Federation, the Craft Council of British Columbia , the Canadian Craft Museum and Creative Vancouver.